Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void


What is so surprising about this year in music is that there have been very little letdowns. Pretty much every new release from a band that I like has met or exceeded my expectations.  So it is with heavy heart that I am here to blog about the first disappointing album I have heard this year, Blitzen Trapper's Destroyer of the Void. When their previous album Furr was released, I was hooked into the vivid lyrics meshed with crisp song craft. That deadly combination made for one of my favorite albums of the past decade.
Now, two years later they have recorded a follow-up and after multiple listens I just can't pass it off as a good album. Sure, there are some keepers on Destroyer like the ELO-fused prog-rock of "Destroyer of the Void" "Heaven and Earth" is a pretty piano song, and "Dragon's Song" has some interesting elements to it, but that's about it. Where Destroyer of the Void fails is in it's song craft. The lyrics are there, and as vivid as ever. But a lot of these songs lack a good hook to take the lyrics and make them into a great song. This album needed a "Wild Mountain Nation" or a "Gold For Bread" but instead it wobbles and feels all over the place.
I still love this group, and still believe they could pull off another great album, but unfortunately we're going to have to wait a little while longer.

Download via Mediafire:
Heaven and Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment